M-1 Visa


The M-1 visa offers a great opportunity for students to train in a positive U.S. environment and strengthen their technical and non-academic skills. The M-1 visa is offered to students who wish to pursue full-time study at an INS approved vocational or non-academic school in the United States.

These schools are usually community and junior colleges that offer vocational and technical training or vocational high schools. The schools must prove their international students program will reach certain educational objectives and will not be used to make students work.

Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are allowed to join you in the U.S., under M-2 status. A prospective student's Form I-20M-N may be used to request an M-2 visa.

If your spouse and/or dependant children are joining you later, they will need to submit Form I-20M-N, endorsed from the school you are attending. M-2 visa holders can not work while in the U.S.


You must first apply and be accepted to an INS-approved school in the U.S.

If admitted, the school will issue you an INS Form I-20 M-N/ID (Certificate of Eligibility).

You must submit your visa application form, Form I-20M-N and other required documents at the U.S. Consulate, Consular Office or U.S. Embassy with jurisdiction over your permanent residence.


To apply for an M-1 Visa, you must supply the following documents:

  1. A filled-in visa application Form OF-156. Separate applications for each person are compulsory.
  2. One recent photograph 1 & 1/2 inches square (37mm x 37mm) of each applicant, with the entire face visible. The picture should be taken before a light background and without head covering. 
  3. A passport, valid for travel to the United States for at least six months longer than your intended visit.
  4. A letter of admission from the school you plan to attend.
  5. A signed Form I-20M-N.
  6. Proof that you have the economic funds to partake in study in the U.S.
  7. Demonstration of nonimmigrant intent.